Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Life without a paci...

We have been adjusting to life without a paci the past few days. On Friday morning, Brenden showed it to us after he noticed that there was a hole right on top. He wanted to keep sucking it but we told him it was nasty and needed to go into the trash. To our surprise, he agreed to this idea and allowed us to throw it away. We decided not to replace it and that we would just see what would happen. We did not "announce" this big milestone sooner because we were worried about how things would go...however, it is Tuesday night and STILL NO PACI!!!! (Even though there have been moments when we all wanted it and Brenden was even caught going through e trash looking for it. ha!) We will not lie and say that this has been an easy road for us. It has honestly been one of the hardest things to do as parents because when your child cries, acts tired, or acts frustrated...you want to do whatever is necessary to "fix" things for them. We knew that the paci would be the quick fix Brenden needed to feel better and more like himself but we didn't want to go back on our word. He has been like an addict going through withdrawals the past few days which has led to lots of tears, screams, time-outs, laughs, car rides, cuddles, sleepless nights, anger, frustration, pride, and definitely prayers. Tonight we are all resting peacefully with no paci and all that we can think of is...

Psalm 4:3 (New Living Translation)
"You can be sure of this...The Lord will answer when I call to him."

We are so proud of our big boy but more than that, we're so thankful that God hears us when we pray to Him even during our times of frustration with something as silly as no paci!

3 comments:

leigh anna said...

:) what a perfect way for me to wake up! :)

so, so exciting! :)
i'm so excited for brenden being such a big boy, for you and bobby being such amazing parents, and most of all, i'm sooooo excited that we do have a god that listens to us, helps us, and answers our prayers.

hope you have a great day!

Unknown said...

Oh, I know how hard this has been...for ALL of you! I'm also SOOO proud of all of you for sticking with it! Congrats! Give Brenden a BIG hug and a HUGE kiss from Aunt Jenn!
Love you all!

The Good Family said...

I am so proud of Brenden! I definitely realize that it has not been easy! I sure wish Avery could do it, and I'm even more proud of you and Bobby for not giving in like Brian and I did when Avery had his withdrawals. I know I have made it even harder on us when we do it, and I'm just not ready to "go there" yet! I told Avery that Brenden threw his paci away and asked if he thought he should throw his in the trash. Avery looked at me like I was crazy and said- no, my paci is not broke yet! :) Now, just don't go and get him potty trained or I'm going to be SUPER DUPER JEALOUS!