Saturday, September 13, 2008

"What kind of Mommy..."

Some of you may have already heard about the comment that was made about me earlier this school year. A friend of mine came to me one morning at school and told me that she ran into someone that was talking about me. The main thing that stuck out to me in this conversation with my friend was that this other woman had a problem with me only planning to take a 6 week maternity leave. (Now lets clarify that the State doesn't give it's employees maternity leave first of all...I had to take 6 weeks of leave that came from my sick time, personal time, and time without pay...I had to pay for my substitute to take my place and when I return I will not have any time left to be sick or take off to be with my sick kids so 6 weeks is actually harder work than it seems!) ANYWAY...This woman said that she wondered "what kind of mom would only take off 6 weeks of work to be with her new baby?!?!" Needless to say this comment made steam come out of my ears and then later made me cry just because it hurt my feelings so bad. Now that I've returned to work, I admit that I've had this comment running through my head OVER and OVER and OVER again every day. I am sorry to say that I even had this woman making me feel guilty for returning to work and for "leaving" my kids.

However, after a week of work, my attitude has changed! I am so blessed in so many ways. Daily I'm blessed with an amazing husband that wakes up every morning beside me and kisses me hello...he comes home from work every evening and kisses me hello...he plays with our kids, changes diapers, encourages me, supports me, and is the best spiritual leader a family could have. On top of that I have two AMAZING kids...Brenden is so full of personality and is always looking for ways to make people smile and laugh. He doesn't care if he knows you or not, his mission is to connect with you and see your "happy face". Bryleigh has already been such a light in our life. She is the girl that we wanted and a survivor that could have had numerous complications from coming into this world so early, but instead she is perfect to us! I am also blessed with the best family...I have 2 God-fearing parents that worked hard my whole life to provide for me and my siblings. They are still two of my biggest fans and are the best "Nana" and "Papa" kids could ask for! My brother and sister have always been like friends that God blessed me with since day one. They have always worked hard to protect their little "sissi" and make sure that I'm okay in every area of my life. I also have the most wonderful friends that have always been there for me in every turn or obstacle. All of my friends are true testimony to the fact that you don't have to see someone every day or live next door to them to feel their love or know that they are there for you the way you need them to be. Finally, I have the best job! Most people don't wake up in the morning looking forward to going to work. I cannot wait to teach my kids everyday and to associate with my coworkers throughout the day. I am so glad that I majored in something that I actually love and that I found a job that was a dream come true to me! As I said before....I am so blessed in so many ways!

I know that this has been too long already, but my whole point of getting on this soap box is to say that after one week back at work...I realized...."What kind of Mommy" would do this???? Me! A mommy that is blessed beyond belief! A mommy that wants nothing but what is best for her kids and that's why Nana has them all day. A mommy that loves her husband more every day and that's why they take advantage of family time whenever possible. A mommy that has an amazing support from her family and that's why she is so close to them and doesn't go a day without hearing from one of them. A mommy that has friends that are praying for her daily so that it's possible for her to go back to work and survive lifes obstacles. A mommy that actually enjoys her job and just hopes that she's making a difference in the life of a child that needs her! That's the kind of Mommy and I guess the truth is..I'm actually proud to say that I'm that Mommy! :)


3 comments:

Unknown said...

Girl, you know you are a WONDERFUL Mommy and anyone who would make such an ignorant comment about someone like you deserves to be...well, deserves to be told just what you said!
Love ya!

The Good Family said...

AMEN, sista! :) You know I love you and think you are an amazing mommy! :)

leigh anna said...

this, my friend, makes my heart happy! :)